Who are we ?
GRUPO NATURALBA S.A. is a Costa Rican company founded by a group of people from different nationalities, altruistic and entreprising, dedicated to promoting a sustainable and eco-friendly coffee culture.
Our primary objective is to produce, process and market organic and eco-friendly products produced by members of the Organic and Sustainable Agricultural Producers Association, APOYA. The word "apoya" in Spanish means "support", which is direclty related to the mission this association.
The Naturalba-APOYA project was born out of the realization that a producers association often has limited capacities to process and market their products. For this reason, we have now two different entities:
- An administrative and business branch gathered under the name of a public limited company GRUPO NATURALBA S.A. that is here to watch for the respect of coffee farmers rights and the financial welfare of the project.
- A productive branch represented by the APOYA association that gathers associated coffee farmers of the Turrialba region, each of them producing in an eco-friendly manner (could they be certified or not yet as an organic agriculture).
- Carry out administrative and marketing functions and to look out for and represent the needs and rights of the farmers.
- Focuses on production, with APOYA members, who are determined to farm in harmony with nature.
- Involve APOYA and its members in the fundamental decisions of the company, as such, Naturalba promotes farmers to become shareholders in the company.
- Have an engaged Board of Directors and strong cooperation from producers, in order to continuously look for enterprising solutions and innovative marketing and production strategies.
It appears primordial that APOYA stays well connected to the decisons made at the GRUPO NATURALBA S.A. level. For this reason the association is a main shareholder of GRUPO NATURALBA S.A. and a great number of producers are as well.
The determination of managers and the involvement of producers in the research for new opportunities, in both the production and commerce department, makes this strategic NATURALBA-APOYA partenship a new model of success.
To be an organized structure of reference that promotes the production of organic and sustainable agricultural products, that are both ecologically produced and contribute to social, cultural and economic growth for producers and their families in the region of Turrialba.
Grupo Naturalba-APOYA envisions a clean world, where small producers can improve their standard of living while maintaining harmony with local ecosystems and environment, relying on the support of responsible and conscious consumers.
We believe that agriculture is one of the most fundamental human activities. History, culture and collective values are linked to agriculture and how humans manage their resources: soil, water, plants and animals. Organic and ecological practices help us to take care of the needs of both the natural environment and provide healthy food for a growing human population.
Moreover, we also believe that commerce is important and that sustainable business is key to reduce poverty and contribute to sustainable economic development where profits and economic benefits are distributed more equitably. Undoubtedly, this is only possible with fair and transparent trade, with responsible intermediary buyers.
Thus, our main objective is to contribute to an alternative production and economic system that takes environmental, social, cultural and economic factors into consideration to create a value chain where all of the people involved are values.
SUSTAINABILITY is the focus of our company. We are founded on the principle that our need to satisfy current needs should not compromise the ability of future generations to acquire environmental, economic and social resources.
TRUST is the most crucial factor of our work, and we are conscious of our responsibility towards those who trust in us. We ensure we are transparent with the active participation of our producers and engage in continuous knowledge sharing.
QUALITY and continual improvement are indispensable to ensure the satisfaction of all the players involved in the value chain, from producers, processors to buyers and final consumers.
RESPECT for the natural environment and for the individual and his or her traditions.
- Processing and toasting service for independent producers. The processing plant is currently up to date with all healthy permits in order to operate legally.
- We offer communication and marketing services to small groups of producers in the region of Turrialba who are on need of structured sales outlets, for example internet, access to buyers etc.
- Coffee tours, visit our coffee farms to see how we grow, harvest and process coffee beans.